Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ric

Dear Ric,
I am so glad that you came into my life when you did. And although I feel that your time was cut much too short, I wanted to thank you for being a part of so many great memories. You were not only my step-dad, but so much more. You were my supporter and fan coming to softball games and driving to numerous tournaments. You were my mechanic, even after you couldn't believe we drove our car up the grade with a busted fan belt. And you taught me to change a tire when we popped it on the curb in front of the house. You were my encyclopedia of trivial information. You were the smartest and the goofiest man I know.  You were my boat Captain on many trips to Catalina, Santa Barbara and the Islands. You were my roommate after college and when most parents would loathe taking a child back in, you welcomed me with open arms. You were my sounding board during morning coffee talks by the pond and evening wine talks by the fire pit. You became ordained so you could be my Reverend on the happiest day of my life. You were a wonderful Gumpa to my baby boy. But most of all you truly loved my mom and I will always be most grateful for the memories that you made with her! And I will love you always for that!  I am so glad that I was able to spend those last few days with you. Talking, laughing, and sometimes crying about older, happier times. I will never forget that last night, I knew you weren't feeling as well and you had to use the wheelchair to get out of your bedroom. You sat up and talked with me, Brandi, Tyler and Mom for a couple hours before we wore you out. And as Tyler and Mom wheeled you back to the bedroom to sleep for the last time, they backed you up over the step out of the living room you said, "Weeeeeee!" with a smile on your face! And that is how I will always remember you! A jokester until the end!! Love ya Ric-ee!

3 comments:

Trinette and Mike said...

Beautiful Lacey! From the little that I got to know Ric this letter to him is so perfect. Laughter, tears then ending with more laughter. He loved you all so much!

Jamie and Scott said...

What a great letter Lacey!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing Lace : )